Kenwood (Trio) produced some amazing amplifiers over the course of the 1970s and the 1975-77 KA series of amplifiers are a superb examples of Kenwood at its finest, combining stunning brushed aluminium minimalist styling with solid performance.
Whats in a Model Number? It’s funny how a model number can give you an impression about a component, and this one leads you to think that this was a low end model. However as you can see by this unit’s original price tag and it’s specifications (and if you actually auditioned it) you would find it to be anything but!
This unit was positioned as a mid-level component amplifier in Kenwood’s 1975-1977 product lineup. The KA-3500 was in direct competition with the likes of Pioneer’s SA-7500 which was also powered at 40 Watts RMS per channel.
This is one of the sweetest sounding little amplifiers I have listened to, with plenty of detail and enough power to be the life of the party. It simply puts a big smile on my face every time I listen to it!
Its features includes inputs for a Turntable, Tuner, two Tape Deck’s and an Auxiliary, with dubbing support provided. IMHO this is one of best sounding amps in its price range, and performs even well beyond it.
Aesthetically I think this is a beautifully presented component. Apple Corporation could learn a thing or two from the 1975-77 design team at Kenwood responsible for the KA series that sported brushed aluminium fascia and minimalist design.
Inspired by another vintage audio enthusiast I decided to experiment with some colour and refinished this Amplifier and Tuner with a professional powder-coat in “Firebox Red”, I think the end result is simply stunning!
- Sensitivity at 30 dB quieting, 1,9 μV
- Alternate channel selectivity 60 dB
- Stereo separation 45 dB
- 3-gang phase linear tuning capacitor with FETs for high sensitivity
- 2-gang variable capacitor for AM
- 4-element phase-linear ceramic filter improves tone quality.
- PLL in FM Multiplex for improved stereo separation
- Accurate 2-meter tuning with signal strength and center-channel tuning meters.
- Deluxe dial with easy to read linear tuning scale with 200 kHz calibrations for FM
- FM Auto Muting
- Optional CB-3 walnut veneer cabinet, B-5 walnut veneer side panels or D-5 carrying handles available.
“Wow is it powerful…I wanted to say every time I turn this system on I still get goose bumps…My wife even love’s it and she has seen a lot of systems go thru our house” http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=803